lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Dave Kor" <dave....@nexusedge.com>
Subject RE: Search using wild characters
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2002 02:27:22 GMT
Postfix wildcards of the form "*term" has never been supported in Lucene
because it requires a slow linear search through the entire list of words.
If you really need this kind of search, an inelegant hack I have used is to
invert all words (eg, "pradeep" into "peedarp") and store them in a
different field. Thus when a user tries to search for "*deep", invert the
term into "peed*" and search in the inverted field.

Dave Kor Kian Wei
Consultant
Product Engineering
NexusEdge Technologies Pte. Ltd.