lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Keith Chew" <keith.c...@jungledrum.co.nz>
Subject RE: multiple clients?
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2002 21:33:00 GMT
Hi Roman

Thank you for your feedback.

I will experiment with FSDirectory first, and get the code up and running.

Keith

-----Original Message-----
From: Roman Rokytskyy [mailto:rrokytskyy@yahoo.co.uk]
Sent: Monday, 17 June 2002 8:40 p.m.
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: Re: multiple clients?

Hi,

> I found a SQLDirectory class from the mailing list. This will solve the
> distributed problem, but it is reliable and fast?
>
> Anyone has any feedback on using RDBMS instead of the file system?

We made comparison of FSDirectory vs. SQLDirectory, and found that version
that was available in mailing list is very slow. Phrase search in 5,000
documents is performed in 601 ms in FSDirectory and 133813 ms in
SQLDirectory connected to PostgreSQL. But I'm pretty sure one can improve
SQLDirectory, for example, 1k block size is too small, because time to
execute query is greater than to transfer data over the wire.

Our next try will be JDataStore from Borland, it seems very promissing (in
my DB performance tests it outperformed PostgreSQL, SAP DB and InterBase, as
well as all-in-java DBMS-es). But JDataStore is not free.

Best regards,
Roman Rokytskyy