lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Nader S. Henein" <...@bayt.net>
Subject RE: Optimization
Date Mon, 03 Jun 2002 07:03:57 GMT
Lucene and Backing up the index :

Since we're on the concurrency issue, can I take a back up from lucene while
it's indexing or optimizing (using the writer), will this be a consistent
backup image

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Carlson [mailto:carlson@bookandhammer.com]
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2002 10:38 AM
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: Re: Optimization

There should be no problem, especially if you are working on a unix based
machine.

Since the reader will be using the current index and the optimizer will be
creating a new index there should be no problem. However, you will have to
close the reader and reopen it to have it use the new index.

There has been some mention on the list about the optimizer deleting the old
indexes, but if you are using a unix machine then the index files will still
be available as long as one process is using them. I don't know how this
would work on Windows (my guess is it wouldn't be able to delete the index
files in use).

At least this is my understanding.

--Peter

On 6/2/02 10:54 PM, "V S" <vss_94550@yahoo.com> wrote:

> As optimization is a slightly different process,
> basically merging segments,  I was not sure if this
> would not block, especially if you are querying on the
> segment that is being merged?
>
> I do see indexing and searching working in parallel

For additional commands, e-mail: