lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Nader S. Henein" <...@bayt.net>
Subject RE: Stress Testing Lucene
Date Sat, 29 Jun 2002 08:13:18 GMT
Yes could you please post the implementation of the Lucene-User board
I think you need to send it to one of the guys so they can post it as
an attachment to your message.

thanks

Nader

-----Original Message-----
From: Roman Rokytskyy [mailto:rrokytskyy@yahoo.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2002 7:24 PM
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: RE: Stress Testing Lucene

> Which came first--the out of file handles error or the corruption?  I
> haven't looked, but I would guess that if you ran into the file handles
> exception while writing, that might leave Lucene in a bad state.  Lucene
> isn't transactional and doesn't really have the ACID properties of a
> database...

A little bit offtopic...

I have implemented JDSDirectory that stores Lucene indices in JDataStore
database from Borland. JDataStore implements FS-like storage, where SQL
tables are just "files" of type "table". They do have transaction
management, but I do not know if it covers any file type or only tables, I
haven't make any testing yet.

If you want, I can send this implementation to you. This might solve your
problem, because there's no file handles involved, if TxManager spans the
whole database, you get ACID properties there. The drawbacks are that
JDataStore is not for free (there's very funny licensing involved, sometimes
$100 USD, sometimes $1,000 or more) and I haven't tested it with big
databases (but Borland claims to support couple of terabytes :)). Speed was
similar to FSDirectory in my tests (difference of ~5-10% max.).

I was thinking of posting it to Lucene contributions, but recently got
completely different task and have no time to check if the code is clean
enough to make it public.

Best regards,
Roman Rokytskyy

For additional commands, e-mail: