lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Nader S. Henein" <...@bayt.net>
Subject Stress Testing Lucene
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2002 15:11:02 GMT

Hey people,

I'm running a Lucene (v1.2) servlet on resin and I must say compared to
Oracle Intermedia
it's working beautifully. BUT today, I started stress testing and I
downloaded a program called
Web Roller, witch simulates clients, requests , multi-threading .. the works
and I was testing
I was doing something like 50 simultaneous requests and I was repeating that
10 times in a row.

but then something happened and the index got corrupted, every time I try
opening the index
with the reader to search or open with the writer to optimize I get that
damned too-many files
open error. I can imagine that every application on the market has a
breaking point and these breaking
points have side effects, so is the corruption of the index a side effect
and if so is there a way that
I configure my web server to crash before the corruption occurs, I'd rather
re-start the web server and
throw some people off wack rather that have to re-build the index or revert
to an older version.

Do you know of any way to safeguard against this ?

General Info:
The index is about 45 MB with 60 000 XML files each containing 18-25 fields.

Nader S. Henein
Bayt.com , Dubai Internet City
Tel. +9714 3911900
Fax. +9714 3911915