lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From James Ricci <ja...@riccinursery.com>
Subject Question about RangeQuery and strings...
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2002 15:16:24 GMT
Hi all,

I've been having some problems using RangeQuery. I have a simple Query which
is essentially "document.field < AB". Field values are:

"" // Empty string
"A SPACE"
"A123456"
"ABC"

Now I expected to find the first three of the four values (and I do with
another commercial search engine product I've worked with). With Lucene I
get nothing. Part of the problem I think is that there are some issues with
case here. Changing my query to "document.field < ab" returns:

"A123456"

Now I would have expected "A SPACE" to get returned, and I was really
surprised that "" wasn't returned. I'm guessing that "" wasn't returned
because no term in the field passed the query criteria, and empty string is
not considered a term.

How should I go about getting what I expect? What is going on here?

Thanks much,

James