lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From David Smiley <dsmi...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Case Sensitive and Insensitive Searches BOTH needed
Date Sat, 22 Jun 2002 14:48:21 GMT

On Saturday, June 22, 2002, at 05:47  AM, Anders Nielsen wrote:

> Let's say the text is "The apple is green" and when we run that
> through the
> analyzer we get the tokens [The the apple apple is is green green].
> (Correct
> me if I'm wrong)

Actually it would be "The the apple is green" since only one token is
spit out if it's already lower-cased.

> Now if we want an case-sensitive search for "The apple", you're
> right that
> if we run it through the same analyzer we search for the tokens [The
> the
> apple apple].
>
> But what if we wan't a case-insensitive phrase search?

Ahh, right.  *case-insensitive phrase searches* won't work, but
single word searches --case insensitive or not, and case-sensitive
phrase searches should work.  It would be nice if case sensitivity
was something handled by lucene itself to get around this limitation
of the phrase search.  The other ideas (separate fields for case
sensitive versions) is a bit heavyweight since there's so much
redundant info.

~ Dave Smiley