lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From James Cooper <>
Subject Re: Standalone Lucene server
Date Fri, 31 May 2002 21:43:28 GMT
On Fri, 31 May 2002, Christian Ubbesen wrote:

> Since Lucene is essentially a java-library today, I'm wondering if
> anyone have wrapped it up as standalone search engine with some neat
> interface (keywords: TCP, HTTP, XML-RPC, SOAP, whatever really...)?

yeah, I agree.  Lucene is definately useful outside of Java
applications.  I'm currently using it as the search engine for a PHP based
web site.

I'm not doing anything super-smart.  Just using exec() to fork a JVM that
runs the search, prints the results to STDOUT, which I then parse in PHP.

I could see having a standard XML format for search results being
useful.  The only issue is that the format will likely need to change
given the structure of your index.

-- James

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>