lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Hyong Ko" <>
Subject Re: segment count
Date Thu, 30 May 2002 21:55:33 GMT
Thank you very much for your prompt response.
In order to make a search, the mergeSegments() function must be called
right? Otherwise IndexSearcher won't have the most updated index files to
work with to do a search. I guess my point is that do I have to
intermittenly call Optimize or Close (to call mergeSegments()) or make
maybeMergeSegments to find a merge to do before using IndexSearcher? Btw, I
am running IndexFiles and SearchFiles at the same time.

Also, when IndexWriter.addDocument is called per file, the function calls
newSegmentName() to create its corresponding segement name. That segment
name is used to create a SegmentInfo, which gets added to the SegmentInfos
vector. Am I missing something? Thanks!!

>From: Ian Lea <>
>To: Hyong Ko <>
>Subject: Re: segment count
>Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 22:07:29 +0100 (BST)
>Lucene doesn't store one document per segment.  See
>for detail on the files created.
>On "is this the right way ..."?, here is an extract from the javadoc
>    1. Create Document's by adding Field's.
>    2. Create an IndexWriter and add documents to to it with addDocument();
>    3. Call QueryParser.parse() to build a query from a string; and
>    4. Create an IndexSearcher and pass the query to it's search() method.
> > (Hyong Ko) wrote
> >
> > I added a segment using IndexWriter.addDocument. Then I called
> > IndexWriter.optimize (IndexWriter.close works too) to generate index
> > to do a search. Then I added another segment using
> > The total segment count should be 2, but instead it's 3. Any ideas? Is
> > the right way to index and search concurrently? Thanks.
>Searchable personal storage and archiving from
>To unsubscribe, e-mail:
>For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>