lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Bruce Altner <balt...@hq.nasa.gov>
Subject powerpoint: sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't
Date Thu, 23 May 2002 00:13:46 GMT
Greetings:

I am brand new to Lucene so please forgive me if the following is too naive
for polite replies...

I have built a web-based application to schedule and archive brown bag
talks. The system uses a database
for the scheduling and searching by title, author, topic, abstract, etc.
but I want to add full text searching of the powerpoint
files actually presented during the seminars.

So I ran a quick index (using the demo API) on the ppt file of  a past talk
I'd given and Lucene handled it very well, finding hits 95% of the time. I
was quite impressed and excited about the possibilities but then I indexed
a more recent talk and Lucene failed completely, never once finding a term.

Any idea why it would work on one ppt file but not on another? The first
was created using powerpoint from Office 97 and the latter (failed) example
from Office 2000 so that's a strong possibility but I wanted to run this by
folks on the list for opinions.

Thanks!

Bruce

PS My brown bag app is my second go-round with the jakarta Turbine
framework. Ai'nt open source great!