lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "W. Eliot Kimber" <>
Subject Re: PDF4J Project: Gathering Feature Requests
Date Mon, 06 May 2002 22:58:34 GMT
Peter Carlson wrote:
> This is very exciting.
> Are you planning on basing the code on other pdf readers / writers?

At this point I haven't found any Java PDF reader that meets my
requirements. One of the motivations for doing this is the problems we
had using Etymon's PJ library: both the license (GPL, not LGPL) and the
quality of the code itself, which does not meet our engineering
standards. I want to use an LGPL library so that people can use the code
in projects that are not themselves open sourced but I want the library
itself to be protected.

For writing, may or may not be able to leverage existing code, don't
know yet.

Note too that there are two aspects of writing: creating a valid PDF
data stream and creating meaningful page layouts--we are not addressing
the second of these (there are lots of libraries that will create useful
PDF output from various non-PDF inputs). Our main writing usecase is the
rewriting of existing PDFs following some amount of manipulation through
our API.

A caution: I am still waiting to get approval from my employers to do
this work as open source--it may be a while before I can even start on
the coding.

W. Eliot Kimber,
Consultant, ISOGEN International

1016 La Posada Dr., Suite 240