lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From cutt...@lucene.com
Subject RE: Few questions regarding the design of the Filter class
Date Thu, 23 May 2002 20:04:09 GMT
> From: Christian Meunier
>
> Hi, i have few questions regarding the Filter class.
>
> Why this is not an interface ?

No good reason.  Since interfaces have some performance penalties with most
JVMs, when I first wrote Lucene I only used interfaces where multiple
inheritance was required.  In retrospect, I probably should have also used
them in a few other places that are not performance critical.

Does the use of an abstract class instead of an interface keep you from
doing something that you need to do?

> Why there is not method to get the field on which the filter
> is used to restrict the search ?

A filter may not always restrict the search to a single field.  One could
construct a filter with arbitrary criteria that may or may not correspond to
document fields.

Doug