lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Bosch, Mike" <mike.bo...@benefitpoint.com>
Subject RE: Standalone Lucene server
Date Fri, 31 May 2002 21:56:48 GMT

and you're well on your way to providing a search server.

But again, it all depends on what your requirements/needs are.

-Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: James Cooper [mailto:pixel@bitmechanic.com]
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2002 2:43 PM
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: Re: Standalone Lucene server

On Fri, 31 May 2002, Christian Ubbesen wrote:

> Since Lucene is essentially a java-library today, I'm wondering if
> anyone have wrapped it up as standalone search engine with some neat
> interface (keywords: TCP, HTTP, XML-RPC, SOAP, whatever really...)?

hi,

yeah, I agree.  Lucene is definately useful outside of Java
applications.  I'm currently using it as the search engine for a PHP based
web site.

I'm not doing anything super-smart.  Just using exec() to fork a JVM that
runs the search, prints the results to STDOUT, which I then parse in PHP.

I could see having a standard XML format for search results being
useful.  The only issue is that the format will likely need to change
given the structure of your index.

cheers

-- James