lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Kelvin Tan" <kel...@relevanz.com>
Subject Re: Indexing performance benchmarks
Date Sat, 04 May 2002 09:00:50 GMT
Excellent. Otis suggested number and type of fields as well. I'd really like
to consolidate these figures and stick them somewhere on the website if its
ok with the people who contribute. Thanks Peter for adding the stats on
hardware and others.

Here's an updated and sorted list:

<benchmark>
Hardware environment
Dedicated machine for indexing (yes/no):
CPU (Type, Speed and Quantity):
RAM:
Drive configuration (IDE, SCSI, RAID-1, RAID-5):

Software environment
Java Version:
OS Version:
Location of index directory (local/network):

Lucene indexing variables
Number of source documents:
Total filesize of source documents:
Average filesize of source documents (in KB/MB):
Source documents storage location (filesystem, DB, http,etc):
File type of source documents:
Parser(s) used, if any:
Analyzer(s) used:
Number of fields per document:
Type of fields:
Index persistence (FSDirectory, SqlDirectory, etc):

Time taken (in ms/s as an average of at least 3 indexing runs):
Time taken / 1000 docs indexed:
Memory consumption:

Notes (any special tuning/strategies):
</benchmark>

If you'd like to contribute these stats but wish to remain anonymous, that's
cool too. You can mail me offline or something, and your boss will never
know...:)