lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <li...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Standalone Lucene server
Date Fri, 31 May 2002 23:22:05 GMT
The application we built for our book (Java Development with Ant -
http://www.manning.com/antbook/) uses Lucene to build an index from an Ant
build (think static documentation here) and then was incorporated in a few
different environments:

    - command-line query tool
    - Ant query task
    - webapp - with simple text box query and results display (using Struts)
    - Stateless Session Bean - deployed into JBoss, and EJB client could
query index
    - Web Service - using Tomcat and Axis - can query the index from a web
service client

It was all built as proof-of-concept, so certainly has not been exposed to
any heavy loads but it all worked nicely.

But on a related note, if you've got NT4/IIS/ASP, why not use MS Index
Server. Yeah, I know thats probably curse words in this forum, but use the
tools you have handy.  As a matter of fact, for my day job we ran into just
this very situation where we needed Word documents indexed and POI isn't
really up to the job just yet.  (our requirements are to run WebSphere
behind IIS, so Windows 2000 was already in the picture). So I built a very
simple ASP page that queried Index Server and returned XML.  A few lines of
Java code using Commons Digester and I was in business easily. (if there is
a Java way to query Index Server, I'd love to hear about it!).

    Erik