lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Joel Bernstein" <>
Subject Options for sorting on an integer or date
Date Wed, 01 May 2002 14:41:57 GMT
At my company we trying to decide on a new search engine.
I am very impressed with what I see with Lucene and am thinking very
of not going with AltaVista, FAST etc...

One of things that is very important to us is sorting by an integer or by a
date, which Lucene currently cannot do.

So I am thinking about some options I might have here.  I would welcome
from the lucene developers on the options below:

1)  We could wait for the sorting to be added to Lucene.  Is there an idea
of when this will be added?

2)  Have my company commission a project from the Lucene team to add this
soon.  Does the Lucene team do commissioned work?

3)  Add the sorting code with guidance from the Lucene team and from a
search engine expert
that works with our company.

4) Re-sort the results in the application that is using Lucene.  This is the
least attractive because our result-sets can be very
large and I think we will have performance problems.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message