lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Joshua O'Madadhain <jmad...@ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: Homogeneous vs Heterogeneous indexes (was: FileNotFoundException)
Date Mon, 29 Apr 2002 19:44:36 GMT
On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, petite_abeille wrote:

> As a final note, several people suggested to increase the number of
> file descriptors per process with something like "ulimit"... From what
> I learned today, I think it's a *bad* idea to have to change some
> system parameters just because your/my app is written in such a way
> that it may run out of some system resources. Your/my app has to fit
> in the system.  Hacking "ulimit" and/or other system parameters is
> just a quick patch that will -at best- delay dealing with the real
> problem that's usually one of design.

If you have a suggestion for how Lucene could use fewer file descriptors
while still maintaining its performance, I'm sure that the developers
would be interested to hear it.

However, some programs do require more resources than others.  If--as I
suspect is true in this case--this is a consequence of the complexity of
the task, then there's not much point in complaining about it.

Joshua

    Joshua Madden: Information Scientist, Musician, Philosopher-At-Tall
 It's that moment of dawning comprehension that I live for--Bill Watterson