lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Terence Parr <pa...@jguru.com>
Subject Re: HTML parser
Date Fri, 19 Apr 2002 17:21:30 GMT
Hi Otis,

The idea behind stripHTML is pretty simple.  It's just a hand-built
lexer that looks like this:

while more char
	if comment start, scarf til end comment
	if char is < then
		if SCRIPT tag scarf til end SCRIPT;
			[same with A, STYLE, HEAD, FORM etc...]
	endif
	if &blort; and not stuff lile LT, GT, AMP, QUOT, NBSP, scarf
	if whitespace scarf leaving just one bit of whitespace
	otherwise just add char to stripped text.
endwhile

Nothing tricky in the code, but I should have used ANTLR itself to build
this lexer.  it got to be a big method with lots of book keeping code as
in all lexers.

Ter

--
Co-founder, http://www.jguru.com