lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From petite_abeille <petite_abei...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Lucene index integrity... or lack of :-(
Date Fri, 26 Apr 2002 15:32:10 GMT
Hello again,

> There is no tool to detect index corruption, fixing of indexing, nor
> index rebuilding.
> The last one anyone can/has to do on their own.

:-( Well, that *very* sad to say the least... How do I know if my
indexes are not corrupted even if everything seems to be working fine?
Don't tell me I'm the first one to run into this kind of issues?!? How
can I "trust" an index if there is *no* way of checking its integrity?
And even if you happen to notice that something is fishy, there is no
way to rebuild the index -short or re-indexing everything from scratch?
That does not sound like a very "healthy" situation to me. "Fragile"
will be kind for describing it...

> I've seen people asking about this on the list, but I never encountered
> this particular exception.

Lucky you...

> Maybe it's not a Lucene issue then, although I've seen this mentioned
> so often, which means that documentation could be improved to prevent
> people from making the same mistakes that others have already made.

Maybe, maybe not. And most likely I'm doing something odd. In any case,
could you point me to the "mistakes that others have already made"? Or
did I miss something obvious here?

Thanks.

PA