lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Biswas, Goutam_Kumar" <Goutam-Kumar-Bis...@deshaw.com>
Subject how to decide when the index needs to be optimized ?
Date Thu, 11 Apr 2002 15:34:16 GMT
Hello !

    We're building a Document Management System and we're using Lucene to
index the
    document contents. Initially when we're populating our database we're
adding the
    documents to the index also. We're also Optimizing the index after
adding the
    documents to the index. Now over a period of time more doucments will be
added to
    the index. So it's understabdable that after a period of time the index
will be
    unoptimized. Now is there some way we can detect that the index needs
optimizaion.
    Or we'll just have to keep optimizing the index, say for every n
documents being
    added to the index, and if so how do we really figure out how many
documents we
    can add before optimizing the index.

    Can anyone throw some light on this ?

Regards