lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Pradeep Kumar K <prade...@robosoftin.com>
Subject why "segments" files?
Date Sun, 07 Apr 2002 23:56:53 GMT
Hi all

In my code
IndexWriter inwr =new Indexwriter(new index(),null,create);
where  index.java is the directory.

when create =true

IndexWriter inwr =new IndexWriter(new index(),null,create);
I found that a file named "segments" is created.

when create=false
IndexWriter inwr =new IndexWriter(new index(),null,create);

I found that it is trying to read the file named "segments" even if
there are other files which I added.

Can anybody tell me how this naming of files is carried out in lucene.

I was fully confused how this "segments" file is getting created. From
lucene source code(index/segmentInfos.java) I found that it is hard
coded as "segments".
Any body knows the idea behind this?

hope any body from developer side clear my doubt.

Pradeep