lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Karl Øie <k...@gan.no>
Subject Re: Lucene index integrity... or lack of :-(
Date Fri, 26 Apr 2002 13:41:25 GMT
ah, now i see, what i have is a server with 512mb of ram, so i have used two
different approaches and both works ok;

1 - i index a fixed number of documents into a RAMDir, like 10 (each of the
docs are xml docs about 1,5-2mb) and then i optimize the RAMDir and merge it
into the FSDir and then optimize the FSDir...

2 - i use the Runtime.freeMemory() and Runtime.totalMemory() to see if i have
reached more than 80% of the available memory, if so i optimize the RAMDir,
merge it and optimize the FSDir..., if not i just add more documents to the
RAMDir....

as far as i have tested i have never experienced a failure while merging a
RAMDir into a FSDir regardless of size, so it's my systems memory that is the
problem....

mvh karl øie