lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Lucene index integrity... or lack of :-(
Date Fri, 26 Apr 2002 14:30:05 GMT
Morning,

> I'm starting to wander how "bullet proof" are Lucene indexes? Do they
>
> get corrupted easely? If so is there a way to rebuild them?

There is no tool to detect index corruption, fixing of indexing, nor
index rebuilding.
The last one anyone can/has to do on their own.

> I'm started to get the following exception left and right...
>
> "04/25 18:34:39 (Warning) Indexer.indexObjectWithValues:
> java.io.IOException: _91.fnm already exists"

I've seen people asking about this on the list, but I never encountered
this particular exception.

> I build a little app (http://homepage.mac.com/zoe_info/) that uses
> Lucene quiet extensively, and I would like to keep it that way.
> However,
> I'm starting to have second thought about Lucene's reliability... :-(
>
> I'm sure I'm doing something wrong somewhere, but I really cannot see
>
> what...

Maybe it's not a Lucene issue then, although I've seen this mentioned
so often, which means that documentation could be improved to prevent
people from making the same mistakes that others have already made.

Otis