lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Tihon One" <tihon...@hotmail.com>
Subject TimeOut Exception when Indexing with EJB (Please Help)
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2002 16:38:01 GMT
Hi all;

I've tried to index a 100K text file on a empty Index folder (0 MB of
indexed file) and it took 0.77 second.  However, when my index folder get
larger (~20MB of Indexed files) the same 100K text file would take up to 30
seconds.

Im using EJB to do the index processing and my SessionBean will get a
TimeOutException if it take longer than 30 second.  I prefer not to re-set
the Transactions TimeOut to longer time.  What will happen if the Index
folder get larger (~ 1GB) ?

I understand that the indexing process can be slow but is there a way that I
can speed up the process no matter what the size of my Index folder is?

*  If I increase the IndexWriter.mergeFactor = 1000 will it causes
FileNotFoundException (too many open files)? Is there a solution for this
error?

*  If I use RAMDirectory, will it cause Out of Memory Exception? Is there a
solution for this error?

Environment:
     WebLogic Server 6.1
     Java 1.3.1
     Document with ( 8 Keyword Fields and 10 Text Fields).
     The files range from 10KB  3000KB

Thanks

TiHon