lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Spencer, Dave" <d...@lumos.com>
Subject RE: Question Deleting/Reindexing Files
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2002 14:22:11 GMT
[1] There's no update so delete and then add is what you want.
[2] I have had the same problems w/ using an IndexWriter and IndexReader
at the same time and getting a locking problem when deleting. I think I
sent
mail to the list w/ a test case a week ago  [disclaimer: this is not
a complaint!] and I think the issue is still open. Maybe I should turn
this
into a bug report? I know fixing bugs is encourage but I don't have
enough
context about the right solution, or how the locking apparently
changed to foul this up, though I did look thru things.
My workaround was to write new entries to a new index and then run
a separate merge utility that 1st does a delete pass, and then reopens
and does adds, based on a "primary key" (the URL of each doc in my
case).

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Hajek [mailto:Joe.Hajek@blackbox.net]
Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 12:28 AM
To: lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Question Deleting/Reindexing Files

Hi,

I am using Lucene for indexing a relatively large article based system
where articles change from time to time so i have to reindex them.
reindexing had the effekt that a query would return the hit for a file
multiple times (according to the number of updates.

The only solution to that problem I found was to delete the file to be
updated before indexing it again. Is there another possibility ?

As the system is large i am collecting the articles that have to be
updated together, open a writer and add the documents to the index. this
solution worked fine for me using rc1 in rc4 it seems that it is not
possible anymore to delete a file from an index while the index is
opened for writing.

do you know any solutions to that problem ?

thanx a lot in advance

regards joe