lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From puffm...@darksleep.com (Steven J. Owens)
Subject Re: a very basic question
Date Fri, 29 Mar 2002 03:28:15 GMT
Rob,

> How can a Field be indexed, but not stored? Isn't being indexed mean that
> it is now in the index, and thus stored?

     My assumption, which I have yet to check, was that there is a
difference between indexing and storing.  I.e. indexing means making
notations in a table of "these words are in these locations".
Reconstructing the source document from that table would be
prohibitive.  That, plus the ability to get a stored copy of the
document, plus the distinction in the API between indexing and
storing, lead me to suspect that there is a separate mechanism for
keeping a copy of the source document in or near the index.

     I'll bet if you took a look at the source, you'd learn a lot.  It
really is quite cleanly designed and coded.  There's a bit of a
startup cost because a lot of the code has that lean, spidery look
that I often see with heavily-refactored projects, but you quickly get
past that.

Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com