lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From acoliver <acoli...@nc.rr.com>
Subject Re: Re: Lucene Documentation
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2002 22:02:59 GMT
Ahh.  As it stands Lucene is more of a *search api* then drop in indexing
application like htDig.

Myself and some other developers will be working on adding application
extensions to Lucene (still in the planning stage):
http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/luceneplan.html

At current there is no easy way to just configure some file and attach some
plugins and hit go...

Here are some contributed analyzers etc:

http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/contributions.html

So at the moment you actually have to write a Java application to search the
intranet and index it.  Lucene just provides the library for indexing and
searching hte index.  How you *get* the documents and *get* the data from
the documents is pretty much left in your hands.

-Andy

>On Tue, 05 Mar 2002 10:08:48 -0600 "Ryan Ogaard" <ryanro@srttel.com> wrote.
>Hello Andy,

>I have actually stepped through the getting started docs on apache (with

>success!).  I am fairly new to Java and find it difficult configuring
Lucene

>to securely search my company's intranet (including .htm, .jsp, ..pdf,
.doc,

>...).  I'm just taking a shot in the dark here hoping for a magical link

>that will step me through this process!  I searched the Web high and low

>without success.  I did find in the faq's you will need a "parser"  or

>"extractor" for each document you want to index.  Is there a source of

>contributed "parsers" available on the Web?

>Thank you for your time and consideration...

>Ryan

>http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/gettingstarted.html

>If this isn't good enough, please let me know what I can do to make it

>better.  Documenting Lucene is something I have an big interest in.

>-Andy

>>On Tue, 05 Mar 2002 08:43:59 -0600 "Ryan Ogaard" <ryanro@srttel.com>
wrote.

>>Hello All,

>>I am in the process of testing Lucene for our intranet, and having a

>>difficult time finding good documentation.  Any recommendations on good
Web