lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Winton Davies <wdav...@cs.stanford.edu>
Subject Re: Performance Issue
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2002 18:50:55 GMT
Joe,

  Put the data to be returned in a single field, and ideally in a
static final array in memory. Get Lucene to return a simple key (or
better yet use the internal Doc ID). Retrieval should be fast. Also,
make sure you aren't retrieving too many hits (the hit collector is
differently optimized for diferent query types).

Network shouldn't be too much of an issue (just establish a base line
load with a static page serve).

Cheers,
  Winton

At 13:42 -0500 2/1/02, Joe Lerner wrote:
>We built a Lucene prototype, and compared it to our current Search Engine,
>Verity's K2, running on Linux.  Query times are quick, but performance of
>the combined time to return hitlist data and transfer it across the network
>was slow.
>
>Any tuning suggestions?
>

>-Joe
>

>--