lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Karl Oie <k...@gan.no>
Subject RE: rookie question
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2002 09:14:42 GMT
> 1. when creating an index, after the -index switch, should you type in a
> relative or absolute path? If you simply enter -index index, I can see
that the
> index is created in the directory from which the command was executed.

use absolute, it is easiest. if you use relative your implementation will
rely on what dir the program is started from..

> 2. similarly, in configuration.jsp, should indexLocation contain an
absolute or
> relative path? I have used an absolute, as such
> indexLocation="/usr/local/.../index"

absolutely absolute path as you might never know where your webapp-container
will place your webapp. On tomcat it's relatively easy as it will be in the
same directory as your .war file. but on say jboss the container will place
your webapp a totally other place.

your webapp might find the placement of the webapp in the container by using
the "getServletContext().getRealPath("");" function. but this path is
ofcourse not know for you when you create the index on command line....

> I then update luceneweb.war and restart Tomcat... to no avail. No
results...
> thanks in advance.
> jdh

i havent tried the luceneweb.war so i can't help you here... sorry

mvh karl