lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "tal blum" <thetal...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: using lucene with a very large index
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2002 12:37:07 GMT
 > 4) assuming I have a term query that has a large number of hits say
 > 10 millions, is there a way to get the say the top  10 results
 > without going through all the hits?

 See the Javadocs for Searcher and IndexSearcher, I think you'll find
 the answer there.

 thx Otis,
but I still don't understand , because the documents are stored per Term
sorted by docId,
in order to get the top ranking document for a TermQuery you have to go over
all of the TermDocs
for that Term, this causes problems for search engine that contain many
Documents.
one solution to that is to change the implementation and store the docs
sorted by their term score.
what do you think?

tal.