lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <DCutt...@grandcentral.com>
Subject RE: Index Locked For Write
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2002 23:28:57 GMT
> From: Hayes, Mark [mailto:Mhayes@verisign.com]
>
> I understand there are three modes for using IndexReader and
> IndexWriter:
>
> A- IndexReader for reading only, not deleting
> B- IndexReader for deleting (and reading)
> C- IndexWriter (for adding and optimizing)

That sounds right.

> Any number of readers may be used concurrently in mode A.

Correct.

> But for B and C
> the reader or writer may not be kept open for long periods.

The length of time doesn't really matter.  What matters is that only one of
B or C can be done at once.  That's to say, only a single process/thread may
modify an index at once.  Modification should be single threaded.

> Therefore for B and C each set of changes should be made inside a
> synchronized block where the reader or writer is opened and
> closed.

That, or B and C should be done from a single flow of control.  The most
efficient update approach is to batch deletions and insertions.

Doug