lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Halácsy Péter <halacsy.pe...@axelero.com>
Subject RE: Lucene Query Structure
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2002 16:49:26 GMT

"Keyword searching refers to a search type in which you enter terms representing the concepts
you wish to retrieve. Boolean operators are not used.

Implied Boolean logic refers to a search in which symbols are used to represent Boolean logical
operators. In this type of search on the Internet, the absence of a symbol is also significant,
as the space between keywords defaults to either OR logic or AND logic. Many well-known search
engines traditionally defaulted to OR logic, but as a rule are moving away from the practice
and defaulting to AND. " http://library.albany.edu/internet/boolean.html

The queryParser of Lucene implies OR logic if no operator found in the query, doesn't it?
I think the users (on our site) prefer keyword searching and implied AND logic. Unfortunatly
to decide whether a query contains any operator or not, needs to read and parse the whole
query (not LL(k) language). How could I modify the queryParser to implement default AND logic?

peter