lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <DCutt...@grandcentral.com>
Subject RE: Indexing and Searching happening together
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2002 17:17:57 GMT
> From: Kelvin Tan [mailto:kelvin@relevanz.com]
>
> True (and it's great) that once an IndexReader is open, no
> actions on the IndexWriter affect it.
>
> However, if an IndexReader is opened _after_ indexing begins,
> I suppose it'll throw an exception? Doesn't it mean that when
> indexing is taking place, the search engine is effectively down...

No, an index is always searchable.  It should be possible to open an
IndexReader at any time, and a coherent version of the index will be
available for search.

> I suppose then, that if I still want to have the search
> engine up whilst indexing (where indexing takes a non-trivial
> amount of time), I'll have to index to a temporary location,
> then copy the index files over?

No, that is not required.

> Alternatively, I guess it's
> possible to open an IndexReader _before_ commencement of
> indexing and provide this instance of IndexReader to clients
> who need to search?

This can be a useful technique if you are performing a number of coordinated
deletions and insertions to an index, and wish them all to appear at once.

Doug