lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From puffm...@darksleep.com (Steven J. Owens)
Subject Re: Lucene Build Instructions
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2002 01:03:49 GMT
Ian Lea (ian.lea@blackwell.co.uk) writes:
> Today I built lucene-1.2-rc3 from the source distribution
> for the first time.  On the whole it was easy enough but
> a couple of points:
>
> BUILD.txt says "Install JDK 1.3".  Might it be better to say
> "Install JDK 1.3 or later"?. Lots of people are probably
> running 1.4 already.

     It also says:

"Lucene runs with JDK 1.1 and later.  However, if you're going to work
 with the development version of Lucene, we recommend you stick with
 the most current version of Java (at the time of this writing, JDK
 1.3).  Also, note that if you're working with the Lucene source,
 you'll need to use Ant (see below) and Ant requires at least JDK 1.1
 (and in the future will likely move to requiring JDK 1.2, according to
 the Ant install docs)."

> BUILD.txt makes no mention of javaCC.  You find out soon enough when
> run ant, but would be better to have it mentioned up front.

     Hm, this was something that Doug specifically said to leave out
of the readme.  At the time, javaCC was included in the lucene lib
directory.

> Also I couldn't get the .ant.properties method mentioned in
> build.xml to work (probably finger trouble) but copying javaCC.zip
> to the lucene-1.2-rc3-src/lib/ directory worked fine.

     Can you clarify what problems you had with build.properties?

Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com