lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Libby <ali...@commnav.com>
Subject Re: indexing and searching different file formats
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2002 16:20:06 GMT

Pradeep,
    Currently Lucene does not provide the ability to convert documents
to text for indexing.  There is talk of adding this kind of thing to the
goal of the project, along with providing crawlers to traverse web,
local disk, ftp, and RDBMS sources of data.

The problem with indexining irrespective of file type is that each document
format contains embedded information that must be stripped out (or ignored)
and the text needs to be retrieved for indexing.  An extreeme example is
a PDF which has a considerably complicated document format.

On the contributions page there are some pointers that may provide information
about processing the types of documents you're interested in.

http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/contributions.html

If you've not taken the time to do so, look at the FAQs, they are very
informative:

http://www.lucene.com/cgi-bin/faq/faqmanager.cgi
http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/gettingstarted.html
http://www.jguru.com/faq/Lucene