lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Jonathan Franzone" <jonat...@franzone.com>
Subject RE: PhraseQuery: NullPointerException
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2002 20:00:17 GMT

Thanks, I may just step back to 1.2-rc2 until they've fixed this. I'm in a
bit of a crunch and don't feel like building lucene myself. Anyway, thanks
again for the response!

-----Original Message-----
From: tril@ganymede.blackwell.co.uk
[mailto:tril@ganymede.blackwell.co.uk]On Behalf Of Ian Lea
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2002 6:08 AM
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: Re: PhraseQuery: NullPointerException

1.2-rc3 seems to generate NPE if one or more of the words in
the search phrase are not present in the index.
Works as expected, no NPE, with 1.2-rc2.

If change method seek() in org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentTermPositions from

  final void seek(TermInfo ti) throws IOException {
    super.seek(ti);
    proxStream.seek(ti.proxPointer);
  }

  final void seek(TermInfo ti) throws IOException {
    super.seek(ti);
    if (ti != null) {
	proxStream.seek(ti.proxPointer);
    }
  }

the NPE goes away.  But I don't know what is going on here so
this may well not be the correct solution.

--
Ian.
ian.lea@blackwell.co.uk

Jonathan Franzone wrote:

> I thought I saw a post that delt with this problem previously, but I
> couldn't find it in the archives. If it is a duplicate question I
apologize.

> I'm building a PhraseQuery and getting a random NullPointerException. It
> doesn't occur with all phrases, but is consistent with respect to the ones
> it does occur with. For example: "visual basic",  "information systems",
and
> "project manager" always succeed.  But other phrases like "general
public",
> "proven abilities", and "sql server" always fail. The stack trace is as
> follows:
>
> caught a class java.lang.NullPointerException with message: null
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentTermPositions.seek(Unknown
Source)
>         at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentTermDocs.seek(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentsTermDocs.termDocs(Unknown
Source)
>         at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentsTermDocs.next(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.lucene.search.PhrasePositions.next(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.lucene.search.PhraseScorer.score(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.search(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.lucene.search.Hits.getMoreDocs(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.lucene.search.Hits.<init>(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.lucene.search.Searcher.search(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.lucene.search.Searcher.search(Unknown Source)
>         at

com.jobwarehouse.lucene.search.JWPassiveResumeSearch.search(JWPassiveResumeS
> earch.java:209)
>         at

com.jobwarehouse.lucene.search.JWPassiveResumeSearch.main(JWPassiveResumeSea
> rch.java:280)
>
> Thanks!
> Jonathan Franzone

For additional commands, e-mail: