lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Sean LeBlanc" <s...@nutros.com>
Subject RE: New to Lucene
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2002 14:54:57 GMT

Unfortunately, it's not nearly so simple. If I understand correctly, Lucene
provides cababilities for searching on text that go beyond what one can
(easily and quickly) do with SQL. If you have an 8000 character column for
example, and you are searching for a *word* that begins with, say, the
letters
"ch", I can't just use a where clause that says "...where mycol like
'%ch%'".