lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Winton Davies <wdav...@overture.com>
Subject Re: Killing the ongoing indexing
Date Mon, 03 Dec 2001 16:31:49 GMT
Hi Parag,

  I don't think you can disrupt ongoing indexing -- so, if you can
somehow collect the signal (^C ?) and then wait exit next time it
asks for a record ?

  Winton

p.s. I found a neat trick along these lines for HitCollector
implementation -- lets say you are happy with the first 50 records
that are collected ? But there's no way to stop the HitCollector (and
Scorer) from processing every remaining hit ? Wrong .... :) Try
throwing an Exception (Try an array out of bounds or div/zero), and
catch it around the Search(query, HC) call. The HitCOllector will
have the answers you collected :)

  Ok, suboptimal in the sense that some overhead went into that catch,
but until there is a way into that API, its all you can do :)  Yep,
and I know that the answers coming back aren't sorted according to
relevance, but if they meet external criteria (eg give me firsdt 50
matchs > date 1 ), then this is perfectly respectable thing to do.

Winton Davies
Lead Engineer, Overture (NSDQ: OVER)
1820 Gateway Drive, Suite 360
San Mateo, CA 94404