lucene-java-user mailing list archives

Subject existing or not existing
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2001 14:59:00 GMT

Hi there,

I'm testing Lucene after reading a good article on it on JavaWorld.

Lucene seems quite simple and very powerful, but there's something I can't get.
The first time an application uses an index, this one doesn't exist yet, so the
boolean argument of the IndexWriter constructor must be true (creating a new
empty index). Next time the same app is started, I want to use the existing
index, the boolean argument must be false. Here is my question : how do I know
wether the index exists or not ??  Is there a way to create an IndexWriter on a
given index, creating it only if needed ?

It seems like a stupid question, I must have missed something...

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message