lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: continue "ideo-logic" error in QueryParser and in BooleanQuery !
Date Mon, 17 Dec 2001 15:36:26 GMT
Actually,

I do not think this is a bug.
You cannot make searches with queries that have only the NOT part.
You cannot ask Lucene to match all documents that do not contain a
certain term.  For instance, issuing a 'NOT pretty' will not return
doc1, doc3, doc4.
You have to use that NOT pretty in combination with something else
(AND).  For instance 'love AND NOT pretty' should return doc1.

I was about to say that you can check what other search engines do when
you give them just the negation, so I tried av.com and google.com.
AltaVista does return a bunch of matches, but Google doesn't let you
enter such a query.

Otis