lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From puffm...@darksleep.com (Steven J. Owens)
Subject Re: Include ANT in CVS?
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2001 18:48:13 GMT
Doug,

> > I suggest you include ant in the CVS.  I believe this is a common
> > practice for Jakarta projects.
>
> Just because it is common practice does not mean that it is a good idea.
>
> Why do you think Ant should be included in Lucene's CVS?  What would it make
> easier?
>
> In the past, Ant was in Lucene's CVS.  But all of the developers had a
> separate ant installation anyway, both for Lucene and for other projects
> they work on.  So distributing ant with Lucene was just adding unused code.

     I kind of agree with both sides here.  While it's a bit wasteful
to distribute the various tools as part of the Lucene checkout, I know
that I find it quite annoying to check a project out and then have to
go and find, download and install all of the other pieces, tools and
utilities.

     What would perhaps make more sense would be an optional checkout
of the necessary tools.  It would make even more sense to have a
site-wide jakarta tools checkout as well as a project-specific
optional checkout, but one st at a time.

Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com