lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From acottr...@blacksunplc.com (Andrew Cottrell)
Subject Re: JavaCC
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2001 13:58:57 GMT
lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org writes:
>Does anyone know what's going on with JavaCC? I'm trying to find the
>source code, as I was under the impression it's Free Software?
>
>However, I seem to browse around and around various sites but only ever
>manage to get to http://www.webgain.com/forms/download/visitor/new.html
>which doesn't even have JavaCC listed as a product!

It's not Free software, actually its a nasty proprietary license, e.g.

"You may not use, copy, modify, or transfer the Software, or any copy
thereof, in whole or in part, except as expressly provided for in this
Agreement.  You may not reverse engineer, disassemble, decompile or
translate the Software, or otherwise attempt to derive the source code
of the Software, except as allowed by law.  Any attempt to transfer
any of the rights, duties, or obligations hereunder is void.  You may
not rent, lease, loan, resell for profit, or distribute the Software,
or any part of the Software."

So, I can't give a copy.

You can download it from

http://www.webgain.com/products/java_cc/

but you'll have to register with the site.

IIRC, it comes as a self installing JAR - I can't tell you how this works
as I would have had to RE it!

Strangely enough the README file contains,

"This file is part of the JavaCC system release that you must have
downloaded from http://www.suntest.com."

www.suntest.com is not accessible, but http://www.sun.com/suntest exists.

I'd be interested to hear how this product left Sun and ended up on
Webgain, seems quite strange. Perhaps someone should start a YAJCC (yet
another Java compiler compiler) as a Open/Free source project! Any takers,
I'll help all I can.

Regards,
-Andrew