lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Joshua O'Madadhain <jmad...@ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: compiling example code
Date Sat, 17 Nov 2001 09:27:47 GMT
[I'm taking the liberty of redirecting part of a conversation on Lucene
that I took off-list back on-list, since I think it's become generally
relevant.]

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Steven J. Owens wrote:

> > ...I still think it's easier for a project
> > consisting of three files to just compile the durned thing rather than
> > creating an XML file so that I can run ant on it...and probably easier on
> > users to not have them have to acquire, set up, and use an extra tool for
> > such purposes.  <shrug> Ah well.
>
>      Uhm, 3 files?  Lucene contains considerably more :-).  For a
> project consisting of three files you can just always compile all of
> the files or use javac's built-in dependency checking.  The readme is
> aimed at people building lucene from source.  People using the binary
> release just grab the jar and stick it in their classpath.

What I was trying to build was not the whole thing, but the supplied demo
without the HTML stuff: FileDocument.java, IndexFiles.java, and
SearchFiles.java.  When I tried to compile these three files using javac
(with the classpath properly set to include the Lucene stuff), I got the
error I reported earlier (IndexFiles was unable to find FileDocument).
Once I removed them from the package org.apache.lucene (by removing the
package declaration at the top), I was able to compile them without a
hitch.  Since those three files are not actually part of Lucene itself,
but just part of the demo, I think that having them in the
org.apache.lucene package in the first place is more confusing than
helpful.

Yes, this would necessitate two sets of instructions: one for building the
source, and one for building the demo.  I don't see this as a problem,
personally.

Joshua

    Joshua Madden: Information Scientist, Musician, Philosopher-At-Tall
 It's that moment of dawning comprehension that I live for--Bill Watterson