lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Jonathan Franzone" <jonat...@franzone.com>
Subject RE: io exception on recreating an index
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2001 21:11:23 GMT

You could create the new index in another directory and then copy it over
the the existing one.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kiran Kumar K.G [mailto:kiran.k@net-kraft.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2001 2:19 PM
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: io exception on recreating an index

I'm currently having a problem overwriting an old index. Every night, the
contents of a database I'm using get updated, so the lucene indexes are also
recreated every night. The technique I'm currently using is just to start a
new index on top of the old one (IndexWriter writer = new
IndexWriter(filePath, new StandardAnalyzer(), true) ) but sproatically I get
an IO exception: couldn't delete _2oil.fdt or something to that effect.

I'm pretty sure nothing is using the index (but then again I am querying it
using a COM+ wrapper, so who really knows what's going on behind the
scenes)...anyone have any ideas how to avoid this? Worst case senario I
would at least like the old index to still be usable (the one from the night
before). Is there a way to transactionally update an index or something to
that effect?

For additional commands, e-mail: