lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Alex Paransky" <alex.paran...@individualnetwork.com>
Subject RE: Indexing problem
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2001 01:05:27 GMT
I was getting the same error under Windows 2000.  It has something to do
with FileHandles being openned. When we were doing a few searches at the
same time, the file handles went as hight as 2000.  At around 2100, we
started to get this error.  I have searched some documentation, and all the
docs I have found says that number of file handles in Windows is limited by
memory.  Well, I have a 512MB of memory in this machine plus 700MB swap
space, so I cannot be running out of memory.

To make the long story short, I don't know what is causing this problem or
how to fix it.

-AP_

-----Original Message-----
From: Daryl Thachuk [mailto:daryl@montagetech.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 4:46 PM
To: lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Indexing problem

Hi

Since upgrading to 1.2  we've started getting the following error when
creating an index in a directory with a large amount of files. Previous
versions of Lucene were quite happy to index this directory.

Any thoughts as to the cause?

-d

java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/private/Network/Servers/montage/Volumes/Disk2/Users/daryl/Library/Index/ind
ex5.
mtlibx/_n8.f3 (Too many open files)
	at java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>(RandomAccessFile.java:98)
	at java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>(RandomAccessFile.java:143)
	at org.apache.lucene.store.FSInputStream$Descriptor.<init>(Unknown
Source)
	at org.apache.lucene.store.FSInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.openFile(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.openNorms(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.mergeSegments(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.mergeSegments(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.maybeMergeSegments(Unknown
Source)
	at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.addDocument(Unknown Source)
	at IndexCreator.indexDocs(IndexCreator.java:75)
	at IndexCreator.indexDocs(IndexCreator.java:67)
	at IndexCreator.indexDocs(IndexCreator.java:67)
	at IndexCreator.indexDocs(IndexCreator.java:67)
	at IndexCreator.indexDocs(IndexCreator.java:67)
	at IndexCreator.indexDocs(IndexCreator.java:67)
	at IndexCreator.createIndex(IndexCreator.java:44)

------
Daryl Thachuk		daryl@montagetech.com
Montage Technologies Inc.
http://www.montagetech.com