lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <DCutt...@grandcentral.com>
Subject RE: Sorting Options for Query Results
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2001 20:13:04 GMT
> From: carlson@bookandhammer.com [mailto:carlson@bookandhammer.com]
>
> What happens to the document numbers when documents are
> deleted and the
> segment merged?
> Is the document number of all the documents reset to be
> sequential based
> on some offset for each segment?
>
> Is there any pattern that might be followed instead of recreating the
> entire array. I know this probably won't be a problem unless creating
> the entire array takes a long time, but
> I think I might be in the case.

Yes, there is most definitely a pattern.  Document order is preserved.
After optimization, numbering is dense.  For example, if an index contains
six documents numbered 0 through 5, and documents 1, 3 and 4 are deleted,
then, after optimization, it will contain 0, 2, and 5, but now numbered 0,
1, 2.

Doug