lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <DCutt...@grandcentral.com>
Subject RE: Memory Usage?
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2001 20:48:35 GMT
> From: Scott Ganyo [mailto:scott.ganyo@eTapestry.com]
>
> I think something like this would be a HUGE boon for us.  We
> do a lot of
> complex queries on a lot of different indexes and end up
> suffering from
> severe garbage collection issues on our system.  I'd be
> willing to help out
> in any way to make this issue go away as soon as possible.

Did you try the code I just sent out?  Did it help much?

A problem with things like PrefixQuery are that they let folks easily
construct queries which are *very* expensive to evaluate.  It is no
coincidence that Google et. al. do not permit these sort of queries.  So,
while we can remove some of the GC overhead, don't forget that these are
still expensive operations and will still be rather slow.  A feature like
PrefixQuery should thus be used sparingly.

Doug