lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From puffm...@darksleep.com (Steven J. Owens)
Subject Re: OutOfMemoryError
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2001 17:38:21 GMT
I wrote:
> >      Java often has misleading error messages.  For example, on
> > solaris machines the default ulimit used to be 24 - that's 24 open
> > file handles!  Yeesh. This will cause an OutOfMemoryError.  So don't

Jeff Trent replied:
> Wow.  I did not know that!
>
> I also don't see an option to increase that limit from java -X.  Do you know
> how to increase that limit?

     That's "used to be", I think it's larger on newer machines.  I
don't think there's a java command line option to set this, it's a
system limit.  The solaris command to check it is "ulimit".  To set it
for a given login process (assuming sufficient privileges) use "ulimit
number" (i.e.  "ulimit 128").  "ulimit -a" prints out all limits.

Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com