lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Brian Goetz <br...@quiotix.com>
Subject Re: What punctuation is "legal" in a query?
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2001 16:04:18 GMT
> Sorry to be so persistent about this, but query syntax containing punctuation (especially
'.', '_', '/') is extremely critical to the product I am working on.

You are of course correct that the syntax should be documented, and
I'm sure in time, it will.  We've added individual elements (some at
your request), and I agree that it should be more tolerant (I'm more
used to writing parsers for compilers than for user-level tools.

Bear in mind that the query parser is a convenience, which gives you
an 80% solution for 20% of the work.  If you've got specific
requirements, maybe you should use the query classes directly?