lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Brian Goetz <br...@quiotix.com>
Subject Re: Memory Usage?
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2001 20:57:24 GMT
> This was a single query?  How many terms, and of what type are in the query?
> >From the trace it looks like there could be over 40,000 terms in the query!
> Is this a prefix or wildcard query?  These can generate *very* large
> queries...

I think the fact that prefix / wildcard queries can generate such
nasty huge queries is a good reason to consider taking the Foo* syntax
out of the query parser.  I realize that its cool, and there are some
people who probably rely on it already, but it seems that the prefix
query is in the category of "professional driver, don't try this at
home" and therefore should be kept behind the locked cabinet where
ordinary shoppers won't take it home by accident (to mix some
metaphors horribly.)